Tuesday, February 2, 2010

repost from our adoption blog

While Todd was in Ukraine bringing Alina home, I posted about some of the funny things he missed on this side of the world. Reposting here to keep these things together!

So while everyone is being inspired by Todd and his adventures, I thought I would offer some entertainment by sharing how I am spending my days. Being a single mom to 3 young kids is hard work!

The other day we were talking about all the things we were going to show Alina when she comes home. Then I said "What is the first thing you are going to tell her?" Noah responded "Hi, I am your brother!! This is your house!! We love you." Caleb responsed "I am going to tell her just who is boss around here" I gave him a dirty look... Caleb continued "it's you mom, obviously it is you"

The boys have the chore of feeding the dog. Caleb feeds her in the morning, Noah feeds her at night. You would think that each day they are just finding out that this is their chore, because of the dramatic reaction it causes. You would also think, from their reaction, that feeding the dog includes hunting, killing and skinning a wild animal for the dog to eat... not walking 10 steps to the garage to scooop a cup of food. Anyway... the other day I told Caleb to feed the dog. His usual end of the world reaction was given. Noah chimes in "Hey Caleb, pretty soon we won't have to feed the dog as much. Meggie and Alina can help" I said "What?" Noah continues "Well I think Meggie and Alina can help out and have some chores. They can feed the dog sometimes." Me: "oh really" Noah "yeah, that is only fair" Me: "Alina and Meg will have their own chores... they will have their own, very important chores" Noah: "Well, what are they going to do???" Me: "Meg and Alina are responsible for making sure you and Caleb feed the dog!" Noah stormed off, I think he was still angry when I picked him up from school about 8 hours later that day.

Today we cleaned the playroom. The goals was to box us all the baby toys, since we don't have any more babies in this house. Why is it that toys that haven't been touched in months suddenly become favorites when the idea of parting with them is brought up? I found a big bin of baby toys and as I started to sort through them, Caleb came running over. I had a rainbow colored stuffned animal of some sort... it lookes like a cross between an elephant and a bunny...it was going in the garage sale box. Caleb; "Oh Mom, you put that in the wrong box. We are keeping it." Caleb: "Oh no we are not! That is my favorite!" Me: "Really, when is the last time you played with it? I found it at the bottom of this toy bin" Caleb: "It is a treasure. I keep it there away from Meg and Noah... I play with it when they are not around and then I hide it so that they don't break it (keep in mind it is stuffed)" I laugh and say "really, how long have you been doing this?" Caleb responds "as far back as I can remember... since I was 3." (He turned 4 last Sunday, 3 was last week for him!!!)

We measure the kids on the basement wall to see how big they are getting. I measured them last week. This morning Caleb asked me to measure him again. I asked him why. Caleb "I think I grew this week" Me: "Really, what makes you think that?" Caleb: "My feet... they are much further away from the rest of me than they use to be"

Finally...
While cleaning the playroom I decided it was time to get rid of the HUGE bin of little people and little people houses, farms, mainstreet and such. I love the little people, but the kids never seem interested. Noah sees them in the get rid side of the room. Noah: "Mom, you aren't getting rid of the Little People are you?" Me: "Yep" Noah: "Why would you do that? I love them." Me "You never play with them" Noah: "Why don't you like the little people?" Me "I do like them, you guys never play with them" Noah "But why don't YOU like them?" Me " I DO like them" Noah: "If you like them then why are you getting rid of them? If you are getting rid of things you like, maybe I am next!!" Me: "No, I am not putting you in the garage sale" Noah "Then do you not like them because they are little?" Me "What?" Noah "I hear you say we should love everyone, it shouldn't matter how big or LITTLE they are... so if you don't like them because they are little...well that isn't kind" Me "Noah it has nothing to do with their size, it has to do with the fact that YOU NEVER PLAY WITH THEM!!! Besides we are talking about toys, not real people" Noah (shaking his head in disgust) "They can't help that they are little mom, that is the way God made them."

So the end of the story is that the basement is clean and the Little people have been moved to a very comfortable and accessible corner of the basement, ready for that one time in the next 5 years when my kids want to play with them!!!

That is what is happening on this side of the world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment